domingo, 9 de diciembre de 2007

4ESO present simple or present continuous? + answers

1.Fill in the gaps with the correct verbal tense: present simple or present continuous.

What___________________(you/do)? I ___________________(read) the newspaper.
Jim ________________(usually /work) in an office, but today he______________ (work) in the street.
Jack _______________(travel) to Madrid every Christmas.
Peter’s children _________________( go) to Japanese classes on Mondays.
Be quiet! The baby _________________(sleep).
What ____________________(you/do) on Fridays afternoons? I _____________ (visit) my grandma.
Look! That man _________________ (try) to break into the house.
Next summer, I ______________(spend) the summer in England.

2.Complete the sentences. Use the present simple or the present continuous form of the verbs in the box.

not buy not listen not live not work
revise smell stop think wait wear


1 _____ you ______ Joe’s a sensitive person?
2 Look! I __________ my new jeans.
3 My sister __________ smart clothes. She prefers sporty clothes.
4 Gerry and Leo __________ in the library at the moment.
5 We __________ to the radio, turn it off.
6 These eggs __________ disgusting!
7 You have to __________ at traffic lights when they’re red.
8 Don’t be late! Pete __________ for you at the sports centre.
9 I __________ in a block of flats. I live in a house.
10 We can’t play computer games, my PC __________ today.

3.Put the verbs in brackets into the PRESENT SIMPLE or the PRESENT CONTINUOUS:

a. Sally always …………………….. (have) a shower in the morning.
b. What …………………..…… (you/do)?. Right now I ……………. (read) a book.
c. Madonna and her husband …………………… (live) in England.
d. We ……………………………….. (travel) to Italy once a month.
e. The students ………………………… (not understand) the question.
f. This year you ……………….…………………… (do) Technology.
g. Martha …………… (not be) alright. She …………….. (sleep) now.
h. …………………………………. (Peter/speak) French?. No, ………….
i. Michael ……………………………. (not do) his homework every afternoon.
j. Listen! The boys ………………………….. (sing) but they …………….. (not like) dancing.


4.Put the verbs in brackets into the PRESENT SIMPLE or PRESENT CONTINUOUS:

Dear mother,

How .....……......... (be) you? I .................... (sit) in a café near my house. I .................. (like) my work, but it ................ (be) difficult sometimes. Today, David ....................... (mend) his boat. Every Saturday he ..................... (work) on it. I ................... (drink) a cup of coffee and I .................... (think) of your coffee at home! Every day I .................... (drive) to work. It ....................... (take) me half an hour. ..................................... (Dad/still/work) at the office?. During the week David ................... (work) in a shop in the centre. He ................... (travel) a lot by car too. The sun ..................... (shine) at the moment, and the weather .................... (be) beautiful for autumn. .......…................ (you/enjoy) your new job?. Well I must go now. David .................... (come) across the road.
Write soon.

5.Rewrite the sentences. Put in the PRESENT CONTINUOUS or SIMPLE of the verbs:

a. My mum is in the kitchen now and I (think) she (cook) the supper.
___________________________________________________________________________
b. Today is my day off, so I (not work).
___________________________________________________________________________
c. I usually (study) three hours a day.
___________________________________________________________________________
d. Look! The students (tidy up) their classroom.
___________________________________________________________________________
e. My mum (not go) to the hairdresser’s very often, but she has gone this morning because she (have) a wedding today.
___________________________________________________________________________
f. Emily (not study) at the moment, but she usually (study) in the evening.
___________________________________________________________________



Answers

Exercise 1

are you doing- i'm reading
usually works- is working
travels
go
is sleeping
is trying
am spending

Exercise 2

do you think
am wearing
doesn't buy
are revising
aren't listening
smell
stop
is waiting
don't live
isn't working


Exercise 3

has
are you doing- i'm reading
travel
don't understand
are doing
isn't- is sleeping
does P speak- no he doesn't
doesn't do
are singing- don't like

Exercise 4

are you- i'm sitting- like- is- is mending- works- am drinking- think- drive- takes- is dad still working- works- travels- is shining- is- do you enjoy- is coming

Exercise 5

think- is cooking
am not working
study
are tidying
doesn't go- has
isn't studying- study

No hay comentarios: