sábado, 8 de diciembre de 2007

3ESO Present simple or Present continuous? + answers

1.Choose the correct form of the verbs in brackets (PRESENT SIMPLE or PRESENT CONTINUOUS)
_______________________ (you / study) English at the moment?
They _____________________ (not listen) to the radio in the morning.
I always ___________________ (watch) that programme on TV.
She _______________________ ( not talk) on the phone right now.
Look! Sue _______________________ ( speak) to her teacher.
The children _____________________ (not sit) in the classroom today.
Our teacher ______________________ (give ) a test every week.
Emma _________________________ (not come) home for lunch on Sundays.
That woman never ___________________ (remember) my name.
_________________________ ( he / leave) the house now?



2.Choose the correct form of the Present Simple or Present Continuous.


- Listen! The teacher _______________ (sing).
- Sandra is tired, she _______________ (want) to go home now.
- It’s late. I _______________ (go) home now.
- Martin __________________ (not drive) to work, he usually _______________ (walk).
- ‘Where’s Paul?’ ‘In the kitchen, he _________________ (cook) something.
- Sue _______________ (not like) coffee, she _______________ (prefer) tea.
- ‘I’m sorry, I __________________ (not understand). Can you speak more slowly?’
- ‘Excuse me, but you _________________ (sit) in my place’. ‘Oh, I’m sorry.’
- What time _______________________________ (you / get up) every day?
- The children ___________________ (learn) the numbers this week.



3.Fill in the correct form of the verbs in brackets. Use PRESENT SIMPLE, PRESENT CONTINUOUS,

1.-He .......................... (run) 20 kilometres everyday.
2.-He ........................................ (not like) all the violence on TV.
3.-She........................(listen) to the teacher right now.
4.-.......................(Peter, work) at the factory this month? Yes, ......... .........
5.-We ...................................(not, usually arrive) home) at 6 o’clock
6.-John and Mary ............................................ (not watch) Matrix at the moment.


4.Fill in the gaps with the correct verb form. Use the PRESENT SIMPLE or PRESENT CONTINUOUS.

My mum is in the kitchen now and I ___________ (think) she ____________________ (cook) the supper.
Today it is my free day so I ____________________________ (not work).
I usually ______________________ (study) three hours a day.
Look! The students ________________________ (tidy up) their classroom.
My mum ________________________ (not go) to the hairdresser’s very often.
Emily _____________________ ( not study) at the moment, but she usually _____________________ (study) in the evening.
7.- I _________________(not, understand) the problem.
8.- We ___________________(believe) in God.
9.- What ______________________(she,take) this month at school? She ______________(take) Biology.

5.Fill in the gaps with the PRESENT SIMPLE or CONTINUOUS.


I __________________ (live) in a large flat in Rome. I have one sister. She ____________ ( not get) up at seven o’clock every morning. I _______________ (finish) my classes at eight every day. At the moment I __________________ (eat) breakfast in my kitchen and my mother __________________ (drink) coffee. My sister and her friend ____________________ (read) magazines.
On Saturdays afternoon I ____________________ (play) tennis with my friends or I __________________ (go) to the cinema. Today, _________________ (study) for my exams. Sometimes I watch American films on TV, but I _________________ (not understand) the words.

6.Complete with the Present Simple or present continuous (interrogative, affirmative or negative).

1. My brother and I usually _______________(go) to school by bus but today we __________________(go) on foot.
2. Where ____________________________ (James / learn) English? He _______________ (learn) English at school.
3. My parents _______________ (not / be) at home.
4. Listen, Lisa is ______________________(sing) a beautiful song.
5. We ______________________ (not / understand) what the teacher explains.
6. Janis ___________________ (have got) long hair.
7. What ______________________(you/do)? I ___________________(tidy) my room.
8. I can’t leave now. We _______________________(have) lunch.
9. My sister ______________________ (not / live) in Mallorca.


7.Put the verb in the present continuous or the present simple:

Excuse me, ________________(you/speak) English?
Where is Tom? He________________(have) a shower.
I ________________(not watch) television very often.
Listen! Somebody _____________(sing)
Sandra is tired. She _______________(want) to go home.
How often _______________(you/read) a newspaper?
Excuse me but you ______________(sit) in my place.
I’m sorry, I _________________(not understand). Can you speak more slowly?
It’s late. I _______________(go) home now. _______________(you/come) with me?
What time _______________(your father/ finish) work in the evenings?
You can turn the radio off. I ___________________(not listen) to it.
Where is Paul? In the kitchen, he ________________(cook) something.
Sue _____________(not like) coffee. She ______________(prefer) tea.





Answers

Exercise 1

are you studying?
don't listen
watch
isn't talikng
is speaking
are not sitting
gives
isn't coming
remembers
is he leaving

Exercise 2

is singing
wants
am going
doesn't drive- walks
is cooking
doesn't like- prefers
don't understand
are sitting
do you get up
are learning

Exercise 3

1 runs
2 doesn't like
3 is listening
4 is P working? yes he is
5 don't usually arrive
6 aren't watching

Exercise 4

think- is cooking
am not working
study
are tidying up
doesn't go
isn't studying- study
don't understand
believe
is she taking? is taking

Exercise 5

live- doesn't get- finish- am eating- is drinking- are reading- play-go-am studying- don't understand

Exercise 6

1 go- are going
2 is J learning? is learning
3 aren't
4 don't understand
5 has got
6 are you doing? I'm tidying
7 are having
8 doesn't live

Exercise 7

do you speak?
is having
don't watch
is singing
wants
do yo read
you are sitting
don't understand
am going /are you coming
does your father finish
am not listening
is cooking
doesn't like- prefers

1 comentario:

bestonline323 dijo...

Thank you so much for this.
I am a teacher at Berlitz teaching English to ESL students. I was looking for hours for a well put together exercise for my student for my next class.
This has really helped me in getting ideas for my class tomorrow, would you mind if i use this?
I will not distribute it in anyway, but i will let my students fill this out so they understand the textbook better.

Thank you again,
Jane
Plasma tv wall brackets